fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Parenting









I've been thinking on Charlotte's writings on the nature of children. I am trying to adjust my parenting and our home atmosphere to more accurately fit into her thoughts on the ideal home. I have tried to pin point some specific things I can start doing now.

There are two concrete things I have done so far. First I have been chatting with my kids about their behavior, how it is affecting others and how it affects them. We especially talk a great deal about emotions and also inconveniencing others. I do not nag them or lecture them. I just simple have a short casual conversation with them. This ends without hurt feelings or anger on both our parts. The second change has been inspiring them. I am finding thoughts, scriptures and quotes to inspire them to change. For example, after they failed to do some chores required of them I read this quote to them before bed. "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don’t turn up at all." ~Sam Ewing. I tried not to lecture or explain, I did help them define the word character. We talked about how character can be good and bad and neither. Kaleb(6) asked me if I could read that quote to them every night before bed. I am making these small changes in my own personal habits to help ensure a more loving atmosphere and happier home life all around.

2 COMMENTS (click here!):

Corine said...

Thanks for the inspiration!

breymom said...

Sounds good! I love your ideas:)

Post a Comment

What do you think?