fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Josef's First Talk



Josef has his first talk in Sacrament tomorrow. He was able to choose any topic from the Strength of Youth pamphlet. He chose 'Choosing Good Entertainment and Media'. First I had him brainstorm what he already knew about the topic. Then I had him read the articles and resources on the church website under Media and pick out some quotes and thoughts he liked best. Then I sat by him and typed as we made his notes into a talk. I think he did a great job. I hope that it will be a positive experience for him and he will enjoy giving talks as much as I do. ; )

(He did great and was not nervous at all!)

Here is his talk:

Choosing Good Entertainment and Media
by Josef age 12

In the thirteenth Article of Faith it says “If there is anything virtuous, lovely,or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things”.
It is sometimes hard for me to find good video games, books, music and movies because most of the popular things are not good for me. It is hard to avoid them, they look fun and interesting and everyone else seems to be playing, reading, listening or watching them.

Elder M. Russell Ballard tells us that whatever media we read, watch, or listen to has an effect on us. Church members are counseled to choose only entertainment and media that are uplifting. Wholesome entertainment promotes good thoughts and righteous choices and allows us to enjoy ourselves without losing the Spirit of the Lord.  He said the choices we make in media can be symbolic of the choices we make in life. Choosing the trendy, the titillating, the tawdry in the TV programs or movies we watch can cause us to end up, if we're not careful, choosing the same things in the lives we live.”

When I was at a friend’s house we were playing video games. They asked me about playing a bad game. ;I knew it was rated M for mature and that it had violence and bad language. I was worried about seeing things I shouldn’t see. I told them I won’t play because it had bad things. I was worried that my friends would be mad at me for rejecting their offer to play. They were ok with it though, and we just played a different game that was good. Now they don’t even offer that game to me to play when I come over or play it when I am there.

I try to be careful about what I watch, read, listen to or play. The media rating systems are usually pretty helpful. Usually movies marked G or PG are pretty safe and playing games marked E or E-10 and up. But sometimes even the ratings aren’t accurate and if it has things that aren’t good in it-I turn it off and do something else. If I’m not sure if something is good or not, I ask my parents and they review it and tell me if it is something I should be using.

The spirit can also tell me if things are bad or good, if I get a prompting or a bad feeling I leave or ask it to be turned off. In Moroni Chapter 7 is tells us “For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man that he may know good from evil;” If I am not sure about something I can always use the gift of the Holy Ghost to protect me.

I know that if I choose good media, I will feel uplifted, have good thoughts, and make righteous choices. I can have fun without bad media, I can enjoy myself without losing the Spirit.

0 COMMENTS (click here!):

Post a Comment

What do you think?