fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Spiritual Sundays: It's a Tilt A Whirl Life Out There


 Whoa! Someone stop this thing and let me out!

I haven't done a Spiritual Sunday post in a while. I getbusy and forget and I also kind of feel guilty about posting and not having time to read and comment on everyone's great posts for Spiritual Sunday. That is kind of what my post is about.

Sometimes we get a little overwhelmed, busy, and ahead of ourselves...especially women. We think we should have and do it all. We hear about what others are doing in their lives and feel guilty that we are not doing those things too. These are usually good things like serving others and beautifying the world. How can all these good things be bad for us?

An old friend send me this poem a while back-


"The Girl in a Whirl"

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do it too, if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day,
I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely.
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly,
I help in their classrooms, I sew all they wear.
I drive them to practice, I cut all their hair.
I go to the temple at least once a week.
I change the car's tires and fix the sink's leak.
I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul.
But that is not all, oh no, that is not all!

I play the piano and work on my talents.
My life is a wonder of fullness and balance.
I read to my children, I help all my neighbors.
I bless my community, too, with my labors.
Our family home evenings are always delightful,
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too.
It's easy to do all the things that I do.
I have a home business to help make some money.
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
My visiting teaching is done the first day.
I exercise, and I cook menus gourmet.
I can garden produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all, oh no, that is not all!
"It's easy," she said,
And then she dropped dead!

 WOW! Are you exhausted reading that? I am.

Do you remember the time Jesus visited Mary and Martha?

Luke 10:38-42

 38Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
 39And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
 40But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
 41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
 42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.


These verses are sometimes hard to understand because what Martha was doing was not bad, but what she wasn't doing had more eternal consequences.

I'd love to think that I would have been Mary soaking up the Saviors words. But my personality dictates that I would have most likely been Martha whirling around making sure everything was just perfect for our honored guest. I struggle daily to be a more like Mary and to put the most important things first. It's a battle though that I keep fighting within myself.



How do I avoid the whirl? How do I  know what things are most important? There is huge power in personal revelation. Praying, scriptures, and asking God what HE wants from your life, not what the world demands of it, is the easiest way I know of staying focused and balanced. The moment I start whirling around like the lady in this poem, I lose track of what is really important-the needful things. Everyone is different and everyone circumstances, talents, and purpose is different. The things others can do I cannot, letting go of this guilt and letting God direct my path is so important to me.

Anyway...the Girl in a Whirl  poem has always been a great reminder to me, to stop whirling around and make sure I'm on the right track and I thought it might inspire you too.
 

7 COMMENTS (click here!):

Charlotte said...

Wow, that is quite a poem. I know how she feels and I know how you feel. It's easy to get swept up in the whirlwind of life. I'm glad you took the time to share this with us. I know a lot of people will identify with it. Take a deep breath, try to relax, and know that you are not alone and God will help you through it all.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Jen said...

WOw what a poem!!! I can relate to the feeling for sure!!

I certainly felt overwhelmed last week so this was the perfect post for me!!! Thanks :)

Susan B said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I think we can all relate the the poem because it's easy to become overwhelmed at times. Thank you for sharing it!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I think as women we just put way to much upon ourselves. I am so glad that you posted this today. It is one of my prayers to the Lord to guide me to do what is important to him, not what matters to me.
God Bless,
Ginger

Corine said...

I love this post! :D - THANK YOU!

legendswife said...

oh my! I was sooo overwhelmed last week. Thank you so much for the post. I love your blog disclaimer. I don't let my husband read mine a lot of times because he majored in English in college and hmmmmm! Sooo see he would of been all over this comment:)

God Bless
http://thewaywehomeschool.blogspot.com

Whidbey Woman said...

Oh, I know that soooooo many of us needed to read this post. Thanks!

Post a Comment

What do you think?