fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Enthusiasm


I am so excited to start homeschooling using ideas from Charlotte Mason next year!! I am planning on using Ambleside Online for our curriculum. We may substitute a few books, but will stick to what AO has outlined for the most part. I will be using Year 0 (which is their version of kindergarten)with Oliver(5), Year 2 with Kaleb(7), Year 3.5 with Ian (9), and Year 6 with Josef(12).

I  am most worried about affording all the books for 4 years of AO. I already own a few of the necessary books. There are also many available online which is helpful, but I would much rather have a book in hand than a screen to look at. We'll have to see what I come up with over the summer.


This weekend I am clearing out all the items from our charter school and returning them. The boys have ISAT tests and the Idaho Reading Indicator to take at the end of this month and in May and then we are officially DONE! I had thought it was a good fit for us and have stayed with it for 3 years now. I just got to feel very bogged down and was beginning to feel 'school' taking over our lives and the joy of learning was just being leached out of us. It will be a refreshing change.

I feel really good about our choice and even my husband mentioned the change in my countenance. He said that we all seemed less stressed after we had officially made the decision.  I will miss many things about using the charter school but they do not outweigh the benefits of using CM methods or our general freedom.

3 COMMENTS (click here!):

Silvia said...

What a nice blog you have. And congrats on your decision, I'll be sure to stop by to see how you are doing, I'm sure FINE. How exciting.
I know, it's hard to come up with the budget for the books, but remember, CM always managed to run her school with a tight budget. Someone said that our most extravagant expense should be the one we spend on books.
Do you have access to a good library? If that's the case it can help with the free readings specially. As for Year 0, with what you have and what you can check from the library you'll be covered.

Jeanne said...

What an exciting place to be! AO is just marvellous!

I'm with Silvia - it is possible to use this programme and keep to a budget. Make your library and the second-hand book stores your best friends - that's my advice. Also, once you have an idea of the quality and standard of the books you'll find substituting easier.

Thanks for following my blog. I hope you'll come often and make yourself part of the conversations!!

Amy in Peru said...

oh what fun to see Silvia and Jeanne here :)

My 7yo is doing AOy1 in 18 weeks starting last week, so we'll be at the same point later this year - AOy2. yay! We'll also be starting AOy6 with my two older boys in August... so we'll be right there with you. I'm going to follow you so that I can keep up with how you all are doing. Come by my place ANY time!

amy in peru
http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

What do you think?