fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Spiritual Sundays: I'm Hungry



 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled [with the Holy Ghost]
~Matthew 5:6 [3 Nephi 12:6]

I was preparing for a Sunday School lesson and  I  read this scripture for it, when my stomach actual growled. It was telling me it was nearing dinner time. It seemed to me an adequate object lesson. Just as I involuntarily get hunger and thirsty, because my body needs these things. I should be hungering and thirsting for righteousness in the same way.

 
This scripture is of course from the Beatitudes told to us by Christ in the Sermon on the Mount and further elaborated on when Christ told them to the prophet Nephi. I love that Nephi made sure to include the detail about what we will be filled with. The Holy Ghost. What an amazing blessing.
I need to work harder at satisfying my own hunger and thirst for righteousness, often the hunger pains dull if I ignore it long enough. I know I pay for that in the end. Just like eating poorly takes its toll on the body, not filling up spiritually can leave me feeling disconnected from God.




It is amazing to me how after being on a poor spiritual diet, one day I sit down to read the scriptures, pour my heart out in prayer, listen to a talk, hear a touching song, or just read an inspirational book or magazine. I can feel the Spirit first nudge me, then pour into me like an empty vessel and all at once I feel what I have been missing. Like a warm blanket the Spirit envelops me and fills me up, often to overflowing with tears.

I chastise myself for waiting so long to 'eat', I hadn't realized how hungry I really was.




10 COMMENTS (click here!):

Charlotte said...

Thank you for sharing this thought provoking post with us. I like the way you compared the physical to the spiritual. After all, we are both physical and spiritual and God takes care of our whole person.
Blessings to you in this new year.
Charlotte

Beautiful pear tree lane said...

This was such an inspiring post, I know exactly what you are speaking of, for I have been there many times. And how awesome when the sprit just fills all of my hunger. Great word for today thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

micey said...

Hi April, Thanks for stopping by! Have a blessed new year! Would love to speak to you some time about the prophet Nephi. I don't know about him. =)

Debbie said...

This was a great post and a wonderful way to think about it. We SHOULD listen to the hunger pangs we are sure to get if we are not feeding out spirits, as quickly as we do those for when we are physically hungry. Thank you for sharing all of this. Blessings, Debbie

Mevely317 said...

Great analogy ... something I'm sure to remember!

Thank you ... have a blessed new week, April!

Myra

Clif said...

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

AMEN! I need to work harder at satisfying my own hunger also. Spiritual Sunday helps, thank-you for sharing your thoughts with us.
God Bless,
Ginger

Dreamer said...

Hello there, I just clicked over from Mormon Mommy blogs! I LOVED this post. Very well said. I am so guilty of that, too.

I also notice on your sidebar that you home school. We do too! We live in Utah, though. Fun to see another homeschooler here!

Chanelle said...

Thanks for the great reminder!

Fellow homeschooler,
Chanelle

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

This has been a week of "poor diet" for me, so thanks for the great reminder. You're so right about the feeling that comes when you finally feast again.

Post a Comment

What do you think?