fiance, student, homeschool retiree, preschool teacher wannabe, Senior Living Coordinator, writer of many things unsaid, blogger, lover of the creative, most cheerful depressed person, devourer of books, crafty wanna be, amateur tech support, internet junkie, facebook stalker, tweeter of tweets, Pagan, friend, sister, daughter, aunt, karaoke super-star

Spiritual Sundays: Family Scripture Reading



For our family scripture reading we are reading through the Old Testament this year. We are using the Storied Scriptures schedule from the School of Abraham website. It a very handy checklist that breaks the readings down into verses that follow a story format. Most reading are 1 chapter or less, so it takes up maybe 15 minutes tops to read through them. I have three boys that are reading age now. With Levi on the phone, we all take turns reading two verses each. Levi accesses the scriptures online with his laptop. It has turned out to be a nice system.

I love that the boys are more independent now in their reading and can participate. It is nice to hear them read and understand the gospel more as they grow up. I know it may seem strange, but I am always surprised by how much they know. Over the past 11 years I've often felt like I was talking to a wall, as the boys stared off into space, hung upside down on the couch, or poked one another through Family Scripture Time. It seems they were listening after all!

Anyway, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for the family God have given me. What a blessing it is for us to read God's word together as a family. It touches my heart so much.Today in Sunday School we talked about how Heavenly Father gave us families and how we are his children too. One of the little girls eyes just lit up with the idea of her family and how someday she can have her own family and be a mother. I remember wanting a family of my own as a little girl, and now I am a wife and mother . It is so much more wonderful and so much harder than I ever imagined it would be. I have a loving Father in heaven who helps me every step of the way as I mother my children-His children.


Find more spiritual thoughts @ Spiritual Sundays

6 COMMENTS (click here!):

Whidbey Woman said...

More families should do this.
More than ever, we need to be engrossed in God's word and live by His word.

Charlotte said...

You are giving your children a great legacy. I am so thankful for families too. I'm glad you shared this post with us today on Spiritual Sundays.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Clif said...

Thank you for sharing this intimate picture of the family--your family. This is good!

Denise said...

God bless your dear family.

Apron Senorita said...

It is so very nice to meet you. I came over from Spiritual Sunday. It is so wonderful to see families in prayer and scripture together. You are an inspiration of hope for the future. God Bless You!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is awesome! I wish I would of did this when my children lived at home.
God Bless,
Ginger

Post a Comment

What do you think?